What makes an exceptional independent Outside Director?
The economic stresses of recent years and the ever-growing demands for responsible governance have resulted in a fundamental shift over the past years. Today’s Independent Directors must be more engaged, more numerate and more technically competent than ever before if they are to be equipped to succeed in a role that has become much more demanding than was the case just a decade ago.
- They need depth of executive experience.
- They must remain highly independent and ask challenging, often difficult questions on behalf of the shareholders.
- They must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- They should be ready to listen, but also prepared to speak up when appropriate.
- They must be well informed and possess a wide array of operational knowledge.
- They must be able to tackle risk, finance and technology with great agility.